[Skip to Content]
Q&A Forum Event : Strengths Based & Personalised Support during C-19
  • C-19 Frontline Worker Support Forum

C-19 Frontline Worker Support Forum

• Rules

Rules

• Back To Forum
  • The C-19 Frontline Worker Support Forum is a space dedicated to sharing frontline worker information, guidance and solutions relating to the COVID-19 outbreak and its impact on frontline workers.

Anyone who is a frontline worker supporting people experiencing homelessness can utilise this vital resource. 

Create a thread, or submit a comment, and start a conversation today!

• Please use the forum in a confidential, respectful, considerate, supportive and non-defamatory way. Please do not provide any personal details or details of the people you are supporting. 

If you think any of the content uploaded is a serious breach of any of our terms, please use the 'Report Abuse' button next to the post

Please read through our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement before using the forum.

Given the real-time nature of the forum we are unable to keep a constant check on the content and so are not responsible for any content posted or the consequences of any content posted.

If you have concerns about information being posted please don’t hesitate to notify us at frontline@stmartinscharity.org.uk or if you think there is a serious breach of terms, use the ‘Report Abuse’ option next to the post.

If any of the Terms and Condition’s are breached, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate your registration with immediate effect.

If your registration is approved, your use of the forum is on the understanding that anything you post is in the context of supporting frontline workers working with people who are experiencing homelessness.

This is an open forum. Please do not share confidential information as this is viewable to the public.

We hope that the forum is useful and that it is able to support the work that you do! As a new venture, we are open to suggestions of what you think works and what you think doesn’t – so please feel free to email us any comments at frontline@stmartinscharity.org.uk

• Share this post on social media?

Thread created on: Thursday, August 6, 2020
By: Anonymous

We are excited to be joined by Sarah from May Day Trust, to discuss Strengths Based and Personalised Support during C-19. Please note this Forum Event will be running from 3-4pm on Thursday 6th August.

We appreciate that Frontline Workers are time limited and often have demanding workloads. That is why our Forum events are conversation led.

There is no video conference facility, and you are not required to attend the whole of the hour-long conversation.

If you have registered interest via Eventbrite, all you need to do is post a comment or question, and one of our expert event facilitators will respond to your queries!

Please also remember to scroll to the bottom of the page and keep refreshing the Forum thread, so that you are up to date with the latest questions and responses.

Key Resources:

• C-19 Forum Event - How Do I Take Part? • The Mayday Trust has developed a PTS Qualification and now has an extensive read/watch list which highlights the work of likeminded people. This covers strength based work, fixing, relationship and examining a broken system • In 2011, the Mayday Trust conducted their Wisdom from the Streets which asked people in services what they thought about the system and services they were accessing. This sparked a huge organisational transformation and a new approach to working with individuals. Read Wisdom from the Streets here: • What is person-led work and how can we achieve it? : Blog from a PTS Coach exploring what person-led means and what choices people do, or don’t have, within services and systems. • What does a strength based approach mean to you? : Blog by a PTS Coach exploring how society perceives people who access services and how they are often seen as a problem or given labels which aren’t put on people outside of systems. • What does a strength based approach mean to you? : YouTube video explaining what a strength based approach is. • What is ‘fixing’? : Blog from our CEO exploring how prevalent fixing approaches are within systems and getting behind the problem to explore alternatives. • What is ‘fixing’? : An exploration of fixing and also human connection as an alternative. • How are the people you work with able to integrate into their community (not services!)? : Blog from a PTS Coach/Manager which explores the importance of community and how this can support individuals to transition through their difficult times.

Thread Comments

Good Afternoon and welcome to the C-19 Frontline Worker Forum!

Today we have Sarah from May Day Trust with us to answer questions and reflect on Strengths Based and Personalised Support during C-19.

Mayday Trust run our Personal Transitions Service Frontline Network, which offers support to frontline workers who work with people experiencing homelessness through a Personal Transitions Service (PTS).

The PTS model works with people going through tough times, by providing strength based and personalised support.

We will be responding to your comments and posts throughout the session, and will collate the key resources you share in your comments at the top of the thread (Key Resources).

Please remember that this Forum Event is an open conversation, and we need to hear from you!

If you have expertise, please do share your knowledge on this thread, either by posting a comment, or responding to a query someone may post.

If aren't able to post a comment, please do use the like button, so that other Frontline Workers can see which comments are most helpful.

We look forward to hearing from you all and hope you enjoy this session.

Many thanks,

Marcus
Frontline Network

If you are a Frontline Worker, please enter your job title

Please enter your email and organisation name.
You can find a copy of our privacy policy here.

Add An Attachment?

Hi all,
I am Sarah from the Mayday Trust and I will be facilitating the forum today. Here are a few questions to get us started:

-What is person-led work and how can we achieve it?
-What does a strength based approach mean to you?

Look forward to reading your responses!

Replies: (6) - Hide All

Hello

Hello

For me it is allowing the person who has the support needs to make positive choices, that in turn allow us to deliver a service that is beneficial and appropriate to the person's particular circumstances at that time Also, re-enforcing people's strengths can only improve their self confidence and belief in their abilities to make those changes.

I think that the people who are in need are best placed to make informed choices and our role is to facilitate this within reason, so that they feel empowered to make the positive changes they are ready to make. Also without re-enforcing someone's strengths they are likely to continue to believe that they are not worth as much as anyone else and continue the destructive behaviour.

I believe that person-led work is where we give control to the people that we are supporting. We give them the power to make independent decisions that are right for them and help them to identify and build on their strengths.

A strength based approach means that we enable the people we support to focus on their assets and not their deficits. Support Workers are often required, as part of their role, to speak to the people they support about traumatising events that have happened in their lives, causing them to relive these and potentially re-traumatise them. How can we expect people to develop strengths when we use a deficit focussed approach? Strength based will motivate them to progress and build on their confidence and self-esteem, which is imperative when helping people to succeed.

Hi Jafer,

Thanks for getting in touch. I agree that reinforcing and focusing on strengths can have a very positive impact on their belief in their self worth and belief. We found this when we spoke to people accessing services in our 'Wisdom from the Street' when we asked people what they thought of the current system. They said there wasn't enough opportunity to look at their interests and hobbies, you can read more about this here: https://maydaytrust.org.uk/6-of-13-need-for-strengths-abilities-and-aspirations/

Thanks,

Sarah

Add An Attachment?

Just wanted to Say Hi
in respect of strength based approach I believe that its where both support staff and customers/service user working alongside each other with the customer leading what they want to do and using local assets within the community to achieve goals that are sustainable for the community and thus reducing down over reliance on both voluntary and statutory services.

Replies: (1) - Hide All

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting in touch. I think your comments about community are really important and it is something we think it central to a strength based approach. This was also echoed from people accessing services when we conduced our 'Wisdom from the Street' which asked people accessing services what they thought about them. One of their responses outlined the need for meaningful relationships, you can read more about this here: https://maydaytrust.org.uk/7-of-13-need-for-meaningful-relationships/

Thanks,

Sarah

Add An Attachment?

Person Led work to me is when we deal with the issues that are troubling our clients. Achieved by listening and questioning what would make it better/easier ect and then work together to set out a plan of action.

Strength based approach to me means working with the clients and other colleagues to get the best outcome

Add An Attachment?

Thank you for the comments so far! Sarah from May Day Trust is working her way through each one as quickly as possible.

We believe that through starting conversations with other frontline workers on this Forum, it is possible to break down the silos that we all too often find ourselves working in. 

So please do share your knowledge on this thread, either by posting a comment, a question, or responding to any of the queries posted!

Add An Attachment?

Person-led work to me is working with service user (usually at the point of crisis) to promote awareness as to what issues led to crisis, and what is needed to overcome and adapt moving forward

A strengths based approach to me is identifying positive traits that the service user sees within themselves and building on those strengths in order to create a bespoke support plan together

I would like to know more about other areas utilisation of these approaches when working with a homeless and rough sleeper cohort, i.e. what positive changes have been seen since implementation?

Replies: (2) - Hide All

Hi Beth,

Thanks for taking the time to reflect on person-led and strength-based approaches. I was interested to read your comment about awareness of what has led to a crisis, we see reflecting with people who are going through a tough time as really important.

In terms of the positive changes, one thing we have seen since delivering this approach is a significant rise in the levels of engagement from people accessing our Personal Transitions Service opposed to our previous support service. This has allowed for relationships and trust to be built and allowed for more meaningful work. Individuals have also been able to explore more opportunities in the community such as local book clubs, horse riding, attending art exhibitions and much more! This has in turn supported them to find motivation and engage with something they are passionate about which they can then draw on away from services.

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi Beth
Plymouth opened two houses for people who were street homeless during covid H 4 H (Homeless to Home), they house 'difficult' people who have struggled to stay in hostels or other provision. They are successful and are staffed by different agencies who are part of the Plymouth alliance. '

Add An Attachment?

People who use services and particularly Drug & Alcohol services are hugely marginalised and in many cases receive constant negative feedback. They do hold huge amounts of inner strength which they may not realise they have, they will have surmounted 'impossible' obstacles before them in their past, it is working alongside them to recognise these times and use these strengths in future situations.

Add An Attachment?

Thank you to everyone who has asked a question or posted a comment so far.

Have you checked out the latest ‘Key Resources’?

We are collating all resources from this Thread’s comments at the top of our Forum thread.

Add An Attachment?

Hi all,

Great comments so far. Just a couple more questions for you to think about:

What is ‘fixing’? What do you think about it?
How are the people you work with able to integrate into their community (not services!)?

Thanks,

Sarah

Add An Attachment?

Hello, sorry come in a bit late, we work person centred and i feel we do strengths based but i would like to formally bring it into our organistation hence being here to learn. We work alongside the person and the key is to listen and through that we still belief that they matter by as we have truly heard them, the amount of times my people have tried to access GP'S, mental health etc and are NOT heard but when we go along with them the services listen ! Empowerment is vital and it is something i want to work on, for peopel to be heard. Apologies if i have digressed

Replies: (1) - Hide All

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, listening is such a key element and people feeling truly heard is is important- thanks for this reflection. If you want to learn more about our approach, I would really recommend reading our 'Wisdoms' which can be found here: https://maydaytrust.org.uk/wisdom-from-the-street-blogs/ These are the foundation of our work and massively informed our thinking and approach.

Additionally, if you would like to explore further how we might be able to support you in bringing strength based work into your organisation, please do get in touch through our website.

Thanks,

Sarah

Add An Attachment?

That’s all folks!

Thank you very much for taking part in today’s Forum event. Your input was crucial in making sure the conversation was a valuable one, to share key learning on Strengths Based and Personalised Support During C-19

A big thank you also to Sarah from May Day Trust for providing her expert knowledge on this subject, and for answering many of the great questions raised during this event.

Please note that you can continue this conversation by adding to this thread (though Sarah will no longer be available to respond). You can also check out the latest threads on the C-19 Frontline Worker Forum.

Please note we will be running C-19 Q&A Forum events on a weekly basis. You can keep updated on the upcoming events by checking our What’s On.

We would welcome any feedback you have on this event, by emailing us at: frontline@stmartinscharity.org.uk.

Thanks,

Marcus
Frontline Network

Add An Attachment?

Hi there, and thanks for hosting this event. The resources are super interesting so far.

To me, person led work starts in the design of a service. Functions to empower choices need to be hard-wired into it, otherwise complacency and heroism is too tempting - 'fixing' is such a natural response, and often more immediately rewarding than playing the long game of connection, so we need a system that encourages us to go against that instinct.

I think it's especially hard in the context of the wider world around us, government and statutory services don't often respond well, so having something in place 'at home' within our workplace that helps us navigate this without falling into the trap of automatic fixing is crucial.

I know this might be a bit floofy, but do you feel mindfulness could have a role to play among frontline workers to help them with person-led approaches? I feel it has helped me, but am wondering about larger scale.

Add An Attachment?

Add A New Comment

Add An Attachment?