[Skip to Content]
Furniture Provision in the UK
  • C-19 Frontline Worker Support Forum

C-19 Frontline Worker Support Forum

• Rules

Rules

• Back To Forum
  • The C-19 Frontline Worker Support Forum is a space dedicated to sharing frontline worker information, guidance and solutions relating to the COVID-19 outbreak and its impact on frontline workers.

Anyone who is a frontline worker supporting people experiencing homelessness can utilise this vital resource. 

Create a thread, or submit a comment, and start a conversation today!

• Please use the forum in a confidential, respectful, considerate, supportive and non-defamatory way. Please do not provide any personal details or details of the people you are supporting. 

If you think any of the content uploaded is a serious breach of any of our terms, please use the 'Report Abuse' button next to the post

Please read through our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement before using the forum.

Given the real-time nature of the forum we are unable to keep a constant check on the content and so are not responsible for any content posted or the consequences of any content posted.

If you have concerns about information being posted please don’t hesitate to notify us at frontline@stmartinscharity.org.uk or if you think there is a serious breach of terms, use the ‘Report Abuse’ option next to the post.

If any of the Terms and Condition’s are breached, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate your registration with immediate effect.

If your registration is approved, your use of the forum is on the understanding that anything you post is in the context of supporting frontline workers working with people who are experiencing homelessness.

This is an open forum. Please do not share confidential information as this is viewable to the public.

We hope that the forum is useful and that it is able to support the work that you do! As a new venture, we are open to suggestions of what you think works and what you think doesn’t – so please feel free to email us any comments at frontline@stmartinscharity.org.uk

• Share this post on social media?

Thread created on: Friday, July 10, 2020
By: Marcus , Policy and Comms Officer
Post a comment or question below, and start a conversation today!

Tag:   Furniture (1)    

Thread Comments

Good Afternoon and welcome to the C-19 Frontline Worker Forum!

Today we have Claire and Adam from End Furniture Poverty, to discuss furniture provision for people experiencing homelessness during C-19.

End Furniture Poverty (EFP) campaign to ensure that everyone has access to the essential items of furniture and appliances they need to live to a decent standard. During C-19, they have started developing a new practical guide to share best practice on furniture provision, as well as to identify any key barriers and solutions to finding support.

We will be responding to your comments and posts throughout the session, and will collate the key resources you share in your comments at the top of the thread (Key Resources).

Please remember that this Forum Event is an open conversation, and we need to hear from you!

If you have expertise in Furniture Provision, please do share your knowledge on this thread, either by posting a comment, or responding to a query someone may post.

If aren't able to post a comment, please do use the like button, so that other Frontline Workers can see which comments are most helpful.

We look forward to hearing from you all and hope you enjoy this session.

Many thanks,

Marcus

Replies: (1) - Hide All
When does the forum start?

If you are a Frontline Worker, please enter your job title

Please enter your email and organisation name.
You can find a copy of our privacy policy here.

Add An Attachment?

Good afternoon! Claire here from End Furniture Poverty. We really pleased to have this opportunity to talk to you about Furniture Poverty and provide whatever support we can to help you to access essential furniture items. As well as the resources above, there's also more information on our campaigns and sources of support on our website, www.EndFurniturePoverty.org

Replies: (6) - Hide All

Hello there
We usually refer our customers to local charities like Cornwall Animal hospital or St Blazey recycling for their furniture - or even to look on facebook. If anyone knows of any good local organisations in West Cornwall that would be very helpful-especially if they can deliver to our customers who don't have transport or have mobility issues?

I have recently worked with a family who fled DV. Family has been safely housed out of area, however they do not qualify for local support scheme in home borough as out of area and don't qualify in new borough as they haven't been there long enough. I have struggled to obtain charity grants, but many charities are restricted at present. Particularly struggled with a washing machine which is so badly needed for a single parent with 3 children under 6. Any suggestions

Hi Christina, It can be very hard unfortunately. Have a look in the directory of grant funding organisations in the resources section. If there are children, then Buttle UK can help, Family Fund, or Glasspool are the ones I would recommend.
Thanks, Claire

HI

have you tried applying for a DAF? or glasspoole? x

I have been on the forum for an hour and can see the posts made by others but cannot see any responses from your staff. Am I missing something?

Hi Alec,
Thanks for visiting the Forum and for leaving a post! I'm very sorry to see you haven't been able to read our replies, Claire has managed to respond to over 15 questions so far. If you are not able to see her replies, please do contact me via email, and I will make sure this issue is escalated with our IT team.
Best wishes,
Marcus
marcus.loney-evans@stmartinscharity.org.uk

Add An Attachment?

Hi

I am sorry, I am a little confused. Is this a email forum? I just do not want to be missing out on a video link or virtual webchats?

Thanks

Vicky

Replies: (2) - Hide All

Hi Vicky,

Thank you for the message. The C-19 Forum is a web-based Forum dedicated to sharing frontline worker information, guidance and solutions relating to the COVID-19 outbreak and its impact on frontline workers. 

Please feel free to submit a comment, or ask a question within the thread below, and we will answer this as quickly as possible

Thanks,

Marcus

Frontline Network

Ah thank you for clarifying this for me.

Add An Attachment?

Hi
My Name is Siobhan and i am support worker for Poblgroup in Wales - does you company help just organisations in England or any organisation and is there a criteria to meet?

Replies: (3) - Hide All

Hi Siobhan, Thanks for your question. We provide advice and support across the UK. We don't provide furniture ourselves, our sister charity does in Liverpool and Oldham, but the End Furniture Poverty campaign is here to raise awareness, share sources of support, and campaign for ways to help people get the essential furniture items they need.
Thanks, Claire

Hi

Thanks for that - there is not a lot of help out there for people in wales apart form the Discretionary Assistance Fund but we have been lucky with the local council awarding homeless clients a furniture pack to help move to permanent accommodation (however, there are more people requiring homes than properties available). This is very rare and is only due to their increased budget and the Covid19 pandemic.

However, we face issues with grants for people who are working to access furniture and white goods, does anyone know of any grants that are available as this is very frustrating as a support worker to help our clients. Everything is so costly these days.

Another idea is to access the market place on facebook as a lot of furniture is given away free, its a pity that there is no organisation to pick these up and take them away and keep for people in need. We have a fantastic Community Furniture Aid charity group but they are inundated at present.

Hi Siobhan, Do have a look in the Directory of Grant Givers in the resources above, there are lots of organisations in there that may be able to help.
Thanks, Claire

Add An Attachment?

Hi, I work across the Liverpool City Region and I'm leading on a fundraising campaign with a further 10 Housing Associations to provide furniture for 350 previously homeless people that are leaving temp accommodation into our homes following the easing of lockdown. Can you advise of any funding opportunities that I can tap into as their is a significant shortfall in funding for this scheme?

Hi Emma, As we are based in LIverpool, I am very familiar with the excellent work going on here to move people out of emergency accommodation and the pledge to provide them with furniture packs. For a scheme of this scale, we would recommend you explore furnished tenancies. You can lease the furniture to avoid the upfront capital cost and then recoup the cost of the furniture through the service charge as furniture is an eligible item through both housing benefit and UC.
Hope that helps.
Thanks, Claire

Thanks Claire, I think some of the Housing Associations are open to exploring furnished tenancies but there isnt a consensus on this. Think this could be a consideration in the long-term but the pace of this means we are trying to find solutions that we can turn around quickly. We have a couple of funding opps to try...

Add An Attachment?

HI, I am a money advisor in the Cheshire East and Cheshire West and Cheshire area. I have noticed that it is becoming increasingly difficult to get grants for furniture items from the local welfare scheme, however, I have had some success recently with the Glasspool Trust

Dear Claire, Yes, sadly over the past 10 years the amount available through Local Welfare Provision schemes has plummeted due to austerity. There is a directory of grant providers in the resources above, and more information on the FInding Furniture page on our website. There are lots of different grant providers with differing eligibility criteria and many do offer grants for essential furniture items, or the items themselves. Glasspool do require a support worker to make the application but don't restrict their awards to any particular group - and they do provide support with flooring too which is sadly very rare!
Thanks, Claire

Thank you for this Claire, I had not heard of Glasspool before but have just checked out their website and this is something our coaches could tap into with their customers.

Add An Attachment?

Hi there and thank you for doing this Q&A Forum.

I work in a community organisation in Edinburgh. For a number of years, we had a furniture project that accepted donations of furniture and appliances, which we would give out to those that needed. We also coordinated with other organisations to deliver starter packs, food parcels, and also do removals at a very low cost/help people apply for grants to pay for removals by us. The furniture service was really well used and provided support to people experiencing great difficulty. We also had a partnership with a local prison whereby we would deliver appliances to be repaired and refurbished by inmates looking to learn a trade and gain skills. The project was multifaceted in it's scope, but also it's benefits, with social outcomes wider than just individual clients, and certainly with environmental benefits in its reuse of unwanted and unneeded items.

However, the project ran at a loss for a long time, and with cuts on top of cuts, we eventually closed it down. This was despite trying to sell some donations to cover our costs and keep the service going.

My question, really, is that given that there is certainly a need for support with furniture and appliances by community organisations, where could they look to for funds and support for this? Especially if they are an organisation whose projects don't focus solely on furniture poverty? Is it the case in other cities around the UK that furniture projects struggle, despite the need? Are there examples of really joined up and solid approaches in other areas of the UK? In Edinburgh, we have a tendering system where the council funds projects who are competitive, but not necessarily sustainably so.

Thanks for any information or comments in advance. And would be happy to comment further if needed!

Best wishes,

Keshav

Hi Keshav,
Yes, it is difficult. We are part of FRC Group, which includes the charity Bulky Bob's, with very similar objectives to yours. We collect furniture that people don't want, and give it away to people who need it. But of course someone has to pay for the running costs so we do it through local authority Bulky Household Waste contracts. With any unwanted furniture, it isn't free to remove it. If it is being treated as waste, that costs money.
Landlords, both social and private, will often have good quality furniture left in properties which they have to pay to dispose of. If you can start conversations with them and arrange for them to pay you instead to take the furniture, it can cover running costs and provide the furniture supply.
Unfortunately there are no easy answers but too often organisations talk of 'donating' furniture which they would otherwise have to pay to dispose of - we need to persuade them to pay charities and social enterprises who want to do good things with the furniture instead.
Furniture projects can struggle but most sell some items and charge for collections. Have a look at the Reuse Network for advice and support on running a sustainable furniture reuse operation as a good starting point.
Does that help? If not, do come back to me.
Thanks, Claire

Hi Keshav,

I work in Edinburgh too. I started working here in November 2019 in a Housing First service. This organisation sounds amazing and a real shame that it is no longer running, can I ask what was it called? I am excited to hear the response to your interesting question.

Thanks,

Beulah

Add An Attachment?

I am not able to stay on this forum until the advertised end time of 4pm, so can you tell me if there is a link where I can access the full Q&A at a later date. Thanks.

Hi Claire!

Thanks for the message.

Please note all questions and answers will remain in the thread after the event has finished.

You can continue this conversation after the event by adding your comment to this thread (though Claire and Adam will no longer be available to respond).

You can also check out the latest threads on the C-19 Frontline Worker Forum.

If you have an issue you would like to raise, which isn’t currently covered as a topic on the Forum, please create a thread!

Thanks,

Marcus
Frontline Network

Hi Claire, If you have any further questions later on, do feel free to get in touch with us via our website or email me: Claire.Donovan@EndFurniturePoverty.org
Thanks, Claire

Add An Attachment?

Thank you for the comments so far! Claire and Adam are working their way through each one as quickly as possible.

We believe that through starting conversations with other frontline workers on this Forum, it is possible to break down the silos that we all too often find ourselves working in. 

So please do share your knowledge on this thread, either by posting a comment, or responding to any of the queries posted!

Add An Attachment?

Hello

I am a Team Lead of a small team in York supporting people experiencing or at risk of homelessness. We have a mix of clients with some undergoing resettlement to secure their own tenancy after homelessness as well as other clients who have their own tenancy but are at risk of losing their home.

Currently we are very limited in sourcing furniture for our clients - those undergoing resettlement gets a very basic package of bed, sofa, white goods and second hand wardrobe/chest of drawers to furnish their new homes via the council. I am wondering if there are any other resource out there that can supplement this package with extra bits and bobs, such as a bucket and mop or a hoover, soft furnishings such as curtains, rugs etc.

Thank you in advance

Vicky

Replies: (3) - Hide All

Hi Vicky, You could try here: https://www.inkinddirect.org/
There is a small charge involved but could be something to consider as it can provide access to wide range of the type of items you're looking for?
Thanks,
Claire

Hi Vicky
In Sheffield we have sometimes use our local The Besom project, which is facilitated via Churches in some areas. I have found it particularly useful for those working, who don't qualify for Local Assistance Grant. I have just looked it up on google and it looks like there is a similar scheme in York . Ours in Sheffield (pre-covid) could offer help with all kinds of household items, as well as with thing like help decorating.

Hi

Thank you for this. This looks promising! :)

Add An Attachment?

Hi,
I was wondering if there is a standardised criteria for local welfare schemes. We struggle a little with our local one as it seems to vary depending on who answers the phone and what sort of mood they're in. There is very little guidance on who is eligible and what criteria they have to meet.
Thanks

Replies: (4) - Hide All

Hi Sam, Unfortunately there isn't so they can be quite hit and miss. They should publish a clear eligibility criteria on their websites but we've found that as the funding isn't ringfenced and there is no requirement to report back on spend, there can be some grey areas. If you can let me know which authority it is, we can have a look for you?
Thanks, Claire

Hi Claire,
Thanks. We're based in Warwickshire, I've seen the local welfare scheme website and it's not the clearest. We generally just end up getting every young person to call on the off chance they find someone in a good mood who will help them before we do the other grant applications. Glasspool among others ask that there has already been a refusal from the welfare scheme before they will help.
It can be so time consuming applying for 5-6 grants for a household to get a solid start to build from.
Sam

Hi Sam, I completely agree. Having to make numerous grant applications in the hope that one is successful is so time-consuming and frustrating. We tried to get a project off the ground last year to create a single application entry point for grant giving organisations, including Local Welfare within that too but the technological challenges proved too much. There is definitely a move within the grant giving sector towards more partnership working which could move things in the right direction and The Children's Society are working on a coordinated crisis support pilot which will help, but until then, I am sorry there are no easy answers.
Thanks, Claire

It is worth mentioning that https://www.turn2us.org.uk/ has a great grants search tool, and if you register with them you can apply for 4 specific grant programmes that they fund.

Add An Attachment?

Thank you to everyone who has asked a question or posted a key resource so far.

Have you checked out the latest ‘Key Resources’?

We are collating all resources from this Thread’s comments at the top of our Forum thread.

Add An Attachment?

Because of the pandemic the demand for "leisure items" such as TVs, radios, laptops and smartphones grew. DO you believe these items will be classified as essential?

Dear Anna, That's a great question! If you have a look in the resources section, you'll see our Essential Furniture items report where we looked at which items should be considered essential. This was a couple of years ago and televisions did make it onto the list at number 10. If you are elderly and live alone, a TV can be your only source of company. For a family with young children, particularly as a single parent, a TV is vital to occupy young children while you prepare meals etc, or as an educational and entertainment tool for the whole family. We were due to revisit this list earlier this year, pre-Covid, and we are going to do it asap because with the concerns around digital inclusion, we believe a tablet/PC/Smart phone could very well make it onto the list. Even without homeschooling, most homework during a typical school year has to be done on a computer, job searches to avoid UC sanctions require a PC. And of course it's not just the provision of the item, it needs internet access too so we need partnerships with broadband providers too. So yes, I do believe they are essential and we have to work together to provide them, with internet access!
Thanks,
Claire

Hi, for anyone that doesn't know, BT does a very good basic package from those on certain benefits. There is a phone line and broadband, it even includes some free weekend calls and is only just over £10 a month.
https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/Overview/index.htm
There is more information on the product pages here.
Sam

Add An Attachment?

Please remember to like any posts you see if it offers helpful guidance, or key resources, to support people with no recourse to public funds.

In the meantime, here are some useful responses to Frequently Asked Questions about Furniture Provision and Homelessness during C-19:

How do I find out if there are any furnished tenancies in my area?

There’s no central database of furnished tenancy provision, but we are developing one which will hopefully make this easier in the future. For now, the only thing to do is contact each housing association in your area, explain that you are supporting a vulnerable client and ask whether they provide furnished tenancies, or any other support.

I need white goods/furniture for a client, where do I start?

If you visit our Finding Furniture page on our website, it takes you through the various organisations that can provide help. We’ve tried to put them in the order that we recommend you try them in, so start with the landlord, if they are in or moving into social housing, then the local authority, then look at the various grant giving organisations, checking eligibility first. Next look at preloved furniture providers, then affordable credit and as a very last resort, a budgeting loan or advance. We really wouldn’t recommend the last option because it simply postpones the problem and can turn it into a much larger one.

Is it safe to offer second-hand white goods?

Always make sure that any preloved electrical items have been PAT tested, (an electrical safety test), before putting them into any home. We would also recommend going through the Reuse Network and finding a provider that is registered with them. Obviously if there is a warranty or guarantee included, that shows that the supplier has confidence in the items.

Where can I find carpets for a client?

This is a tricky one. We find floor and window coverings are often the hardest items to obtain. A handful of local authorities provide flooring through the Local Welfare Provision schemes so speak to them. Try the landlord if it is a social housing property, and Glasspool Trust do provide support with flooring. We would say always ask the housing association for support because the more enquiries of this type they get, the more likely they are to consider providing support in the future.

Add An Attachment?

Hi all
I have applied to a charity called the League of Helping hands who are offering help during the Covid crisis and also for grants towards white goods
. https://lhh.org.uk/
This is very important and much needed as some of our clients are working but on a very low wage and cannot apply for a DAF

Add An Attachment?

I used to work for The Royal British Legion - they used an organisation called Not Forgotten Association - they gave grants of TV & TV Licences to ex-military who were isolated and whose only company was the TV - I know this isn't quite furniture, but in the times of the pandemic, it may be useful for some people to know.

Hi Claire, Thanks for that, we consider televisions to be an essential 'furniture' item, so that's useful to know.
Thanks,
Claire

Add An Attachment?

Some brilliant questions and replies so far!

Do you know of anyone who would be interested in taking part in the conversation right now?

Please feel free to promote this open Forum via Twitter, using the hashtag : #C19FrontlineWorkerForum.

Add An Attachment?

Is there a way of finding out which charities have previously been applied to on behalf of an individual.

Hi Ian, Only by speaking to the charity directly and some are wary of giving out that type of information. The majority will only allow you to make a set number of applications within a certain period, and some will only let you know when you make the application if a previous application has been made. So just speak to the organisation you are applying to and see what they say.
Thanks, Claire

Add An Attachment?

It is always worth asking clients for their ethnic background, work experience, location, age and finding out about there history. You can then look for charities that fund specific groups such as Scotcare for people of Scottish descent. Some charities may fund women under 30 or over 50. The more you can find out about the individual the more opportunities you may uncover.

Hi Christina, That's a really good point. There are some occupational grant charities as well so worth asking about previous employment too. Have a look in our DIrectory of Grant Givers for a fairly full list.
Thanks,
Claire

Add An Attachment?

Hello,
I wondered if anyone knows anything about trigger figures, my manager shared a documents with me about it that someone gave to her. It is old but essentially it guides what is reasonable to spend in household per various items. Does anyone use such forms and if they do, do you know where I would get updated ones? They tend to be useful as can help reduce getting rejected when applying for grants.

Thanks in advance,

Patricia

Hi Patricia, I don't think these apply to furniture but here's a website with some up to date information on trigger figures: http://www.cfs.moneyadvicetrust.org/faqs.asp?page_id=37
Thanks, Claire

Add An Attachment?

Hi David,
Thank you for the question. It seems that your comment may have been written in the first text box (Name), and is not visible. Please could you re-write your question, and we will respond as soon as possible.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Marcus

Add An Attachment?

this is a national charity helping with IT equipment -really helpful -anyone can apply!

Add An Attachment?

We're trying to find out about furniture provision for people moving out of emergency accommodation after the Everybody In programme as the start of lockdown. If anyone could fill in our survey to tell us what's happening in your area, we would be very grateful: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/Everybody-Out
And if you'd like to sign up to our mailing list to receive regular updates about our campaign, please do so here: https://www.endfurniturepoverty.org/mailing-list
And of course we're on twitter - @EndFurniturePov so please follow us.
If anyone wants to get in touch for a more in-depth conversation or with any more questions, email me at Claire.Donovan@EndFurniturePoverty.org
Thanks!

Add An Attachment?

wavelength
https://wavelength.org.uk/
they provide IT equipment nationally -anyone can apply -friend, neighbour anyone!

Add An Attachment?

I work for Mustard Tree, a charity whose mission is to tackle poverty and prevent homelessness across Greater Manchester.

We have recently relaunched our project to provide people with free furniture and white goods.

Demand is very high and we are in urgent need of used/new donated items.

Do you know any local organisations who might be able to help? You said you have a sister charity in Oldham?

Thanks!

David

Hi David, I've heard of Mustard Tree and the good work that you do! Yes, we do have a Bulky Bob's operation in Oldham. Perhaps if you could email me so I have your details? Claire.Donovan@EndFurniturePoverty.org. I've got two meetings early on next week to catch up on what's happening in Oldham so I can find out what the current situation is over there and we can have a chat?
Thanks, Claire

Add An Attachment?

That’s all folks!

Thank you very much for taking part in today’s Forum event. Your input was crucial in making sure the conversation was a valuable one for frontline workers, to share key learning on furniture poverty and providing essential furniture items.

A big thank you also to Claire and Adam from End Furniture Poverty for providing their expert knowledge on this subject, and for answering many of the great questions raised during this event.

Please note that you can continue this conversation by adding to this thread. You can also check out the latest threads on the C-19 Frontline Worker Forum.

Please note we will be running C-19 Q&A Forum events on a weekly basis. You can keep updated on the upcoming events by checking our What’s On.

As this is the second time facilitating an event of this nature, we would welcome any feedback you have on the formatting of this event, by emailing us at frontline@stmartinscharity.org.uk.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks,

Marcus

Add An Attachment?

Add A New Comment

Add An Attachment?